Rules of Competition
- Competitors must be from Years 11 and 12.
- Teams are comprised of four members.
- Speakers are to speak for eight minutes with a warning bell at six minutes, two bells at eight minutes and a continuous bell at nine minutes.
- The topics will only be disclosed, and agreed upon, immediately prior to preparation time.
- Teams must prepare their debates within a predetermined time limit of one hour.
- A win in the Firsts is awarded a score of three points, and a win in the Seconds is awarded a score of two points. No points are awarded for a loss. At competition’s end, each of the competing teams will have a score out of fifteen.
Combined High Schools Team – Selection Process
- Competitors must be from Years 11 and 12 and attend a government school.
- Students are nominated by coaches and adjudicators and selection trials take place on the first Saturday of the holidays at the end of Term 2 at The Arts Unit, corner of Toothill Steet and The Boulevarde, Lewisham.
- Selected students participate in a series of coaching sessions.
Stages Of Competition
- The three competition debates take place in Term 3.
- Firsts and Seconds debates are held simultaneously in the evening at a host school. Parents, friends and people interested in debating are encouraged to attend.
Medallions and CHS ties are awarded to team members of both the Firsts and the Seconds.
The NSW Representative Debating Cup is awarded to the Champion representative team.
Selection Trials: Saturday 28th June - 09:00 - 17:00
CHS Debating Team v Archdale Representative Team: Wednesday 10th September - 18:00 - 21:00
CHS v Combined Associated Schools: Monday 15th September - 18:00 - 21:00
CHS v Greater Public Schools: Wednesday 17th September - 18:00 - 21:00
The 2013 CHS team consisted of the following students:
|Natalie Buckett||Penrith High School|
|Janek Drevikovsky||Fort Street High School|
|Riley Irwin||Sydney Boys High School|
|Wilber Koslowski||Sydney Boys High School|
|Marcus McCulloch||Fort Street High School|
|Emily Rice||Sydney Girls High School|
|Connor Robinson||Sydney Boys High School|
|Theodora Von Arnim||Sydney Girls High School|