For a number of years, a camp for debaters at junior secondary level (i.e. Years 9 & 10) has been held. The model for this secondary competition, known as the Junior State Debating Championships, was adapted for primary students in Years 5 & 6.
Rules of Competition:
- Competitors should be from Years 5 and 6 attending a government public school in New South Wales.
- Only one student may be selected per school and each student may only compete at State primary level twice.
- Teams should be comprised of four members with each regional team exercising its discretion to include a fifth member.
- Debates will be judged by adjudicators with primary experience who have been selected by The Arts Unit.
- Each speaker should speak for a maximum of four minutes, with a warning bell at three minutes. A continuous bell will be rung at five minutes.
Stages of Competition:
- The topics will only be disclosed, and decided upon, immediately prior to preparation time.
- Teams should prepare their debates within a predetermined time limit of one hour, without the assistance of their coaches.
- There will be five rounds of debates. At the conclusion of those rounds the top four teams will debate in the Semi-Finals. Should there be a number of teams with an equal number of wins, then the four Semi-Finalists will be decided at the discretion of the adjudicators in consultation with the State Debating Coordinator.
- The Primary Schools State Debating Championships Trophy is awarded to the State Champion Regional Team.
- Medallions are awarded to team members of both teams competing in the State Final.
- Certificates are awarded to all participants.
The 2013 Primary Schools State Debating Championships took place at the Collaroy Centre from 1 - 4 December.
The winners were Sydney Region, who defeated Northern Sydney in the final.
(Left to right- members of the Sydney team, Charlotte Robinson, Maja Vasic, Marcus Borscz, Dexter Coady, Rosy Gilliat)
Regional Representative Schools
Mona Vale PS
St Ives North PS
John Purchase PS
|South Western Sydney||
Georges Hall PS
Strathfield South PS
Greenway Park PS
St Johns Park PS
Jasper Road PS
Metella Road PS
Quakers Hill PS
Kings Langley PS
Merewether Heights PS
New Lambton PS
Lismore Heights PS
Ross Hill PS
Ben Venue PS
Armidale City PS
Yerong Creek PS
Deniliquin North PS
|Illawarra & South East||
Illaroo Road PS
Dubbo South PS
A list of previous winners of the Primary Schools State Debating Championships is available here